Friday, March 13, 2009

Basking in the afterglow...


Me and my mom and dad - I'm about 2 or 3 months old

So yesterday was my 48th birthday. Wow. I have to keep saying that number to myself because it doesn't seem real. I have no idea how I got to be 48. It seems I was just chasing boys on the Orangewood Elementary School playground or just graduated from Washington High School or just gave birth to my first child. My Grandpa Grant used to tell me that I should enjoy the age I am because the time goes by way too fast. He was right, of course. The time does go by way too fast.

I had a great day. I had to get up earlier than I would have liked - 7:30am - but it was worth it. I got to spend the morning with my daughter and her four kids. They bring smiles to my face. Jeni had a dentist appointment and I went along to keep the kids busy while she was in with the dentist. I could have stayed at her house with them, but what fun is that? It was way better to challenge myself and see if I could keep 4 kids quiet in a small office space. Luckily, the office was next to an old pioneer cemetary that is apparently being restored. We had great fun walking through and reading some of the headstones. The kids were amazed that some of those people died in the 1800's!! Then we did a little shopping - Walmart, Costco - all the "good" places! In the afternoon I relaxed with my magazines while Jeff worked in the garage with his brother, Jon. Those two love to "work" in the garage together. To cap off a great day, my kids - Justin and his girlfriend, Kaitlin; Jeni and Dan and the kids; Andrea and Greg and Jeff and Chad and I went to Pizza King and ate dinner and listened to karaoke. It was fun to be together and catch up. We were so tickled when Ryleigh got up and sang! She did 5 songs, one of which was "Happy Birthday to Grandma!" I got all teary! I am amazed at that girl. Not only can she sing, but she has the courage to sing in front of a restaurant full of people! I mentioned this to her on the way out to the car and she replied that if she was going to sing for a living, she better get used to doing it in front of people! Smart thinking.

I love birthdays - not necessarily the getting older part - but the birthday itself is usually great fun and puts a smile on my face the whole day. The day wasn't entirely complete however, until my mom and step-dad called and sang Happy Birthday to me in the evening when he got home from work. They do this for everyone in the family, which is so cool because it's become a tradition. Everyone looks forward to hearing them sing.

I'm grateful for another year. I hope I'm smarter than last year, a little more patient, a little kinder and more understanding. I'm looking forward to lots more years of learning and smiling!

1 comment:

gibkidsmom said...

Oh my gosh! I missed your birthday! What a rotten friend I am!!!!!!! OK- I HAVE been a little preoccupied but still... LOVE YA Girlfriend! Happy 48th! When you get back to AZ we're doing lunch to celebrate! I don't care how far after your birthday it is! BIG HUGS!!!!!