Sunday, March 22, 2009

Rusty


Today our sweet little dog, Rusty went to live with a new family in Albany. Here's the story -

We got Rusty as a baby - all 1 pound of him. Honestly, he was the littlest dog I had ever seen and I loved him from the moment I saw him. That was 4 1/2 years ago. Rusty has been a great dog, but - well, let's just say he's a little needy. He requires a lot of attention and love - something that's been easy to give, but with our impending move to Arizona and all the life changes that will come with that, I worry that he won't get the attention he craves and that will be bad for all of us. I hadn't really been trying to find a home for Rusty. Just when I think I'm going to post him on Craigslist, I chicken out. My heart tugs and I just can't stand the thought of him not being here - even though sometimes frankly he drives me crazy. But my daughter Jeni has been trying to find a home for her dog and this lady seemed like someone that might really be good for Rusty so she sent her my way. I was hesitant at first. I called the lady - Amy - and made a tentative plan and then changed my mind. Amy called me back and asked me to keep her number and if I changed my mind, to call her. She was so nice and understanding of how hard this was for me. I decided to have her just come over and see Rusty. She did and that was it. It just felt right. Rusty went right to her and she held him and was so good with him. I knew it was what I needed to do - for us and for Rusty. Funny thing - I told her that Rusty was crate trained and that he could sleep in his crate and she was a little disappointed. She said she was really hoping that he could sleep with her. Can you say, "Dog Heaven"? Needless to say, I cried when Rusty left with her, but now - 3 hours later, I can honestly say I feel really good about the decision. Rusty will be so happy and so will Amy and so will we. It's all good.

1 comment:

Cori said...

This brings back my feelings about Bear all over again. I miss our sweet Bear so much, but I just keep thinking about what the ladies at the Humane Society said; that Bear is such a great dog, he won't last two days before being adopted to a lovely family. I pray that's true.